Glenn Disney (b. 1975) was born and raised in Sacramento, California, and has been composing, arranging and performing music for over 25 years. He has written works for band, orchestra, and marching band, as well as for a wide variety of solo instruments, voice and instrumental chamber ensembles. His works have been performed by various students, ensembles, and faculty at the School of Music at Sac State, and around the Sacramento area.
Glenn began his musical studies at age 10 on piano, and later began learning string bass while in his junior high school orchestra. He began composing music while in high school. After graduating high school in 1993, Glenn began his musical studies at Sacramento State. He received his Bachelor of Music in Theory and Composition from Sacramento State in 1999 and his Master of Music in Composition in 2012, having studied under Professor Leo Eylar. Glenn has worked full time for the School of Music as its Events Manager since 1999. He is also the webmaster for the School of Music and for Runaway Stage Productions.
Glenn's composition "Duality" for violin and cello was co-winner of the 2008 Festival of New American Music Student Composers Competition at Sacramento State. Prior to that, "Bouncy Ball" for solo clarinet was the winning composition of the same competition in 2007. "Frenetical" for solo flute, was released on the CD "Inflorescence IV - Music for Solo Flute" in 2009, performed by Laurel Zucker on Cantilena Records. Glenn arranged the wind/brass charts for the Sacramento State Marching Band pre-game and half-time showsfrom 2010-2016. He has also arranged short works for the Mandarins Entertainment since the fall of 2014, that have been performed at Sacramento Kings NBA games.
In addition to composing music, Glenn has been a performing musician throughout the years, primarily on string bass and electric bass. He has played with Sacramento State's Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, Marching Band (trumpet and mellophone) and Jazz Ensemble, and with Runaway Stage Productions (RSP), Green Valley Theatre, and the Light Opera Theatre of Sacramento, in addition to numerous other Sacramento area organizations. In the summer of 2009 Glenn finished the last four and half months of California Musical Theater's run of Forever Plaid at the Cosmopolitan Cabaret.
Glenn made his conducting debut with the Runaway Stage Productions production of Meet Me In St. Louis in November 2009, and continued by directing the pit orchestras for The Wiz in November 2010, 9 to 5 in January 2013, The Producers in June 2014, The Addams Family in January 2015, Catch Me If You Can in June 2015, Big Fish in January 2016, and All Shook Up in June 2016. A history of the shows Glenn has played string and/or electric bass for is below.
Show Performance History
- Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Gondoliers" Light Opera Theatre of Sacramento, August 2018
- Hairspray (sub) Woodland Opera House, May 2018
- Gilbert & Sullivan's "Patience" Light Opera Theatre of Sacramento, September 2017
- The Grand Hotel Green Valley Theatre, May 2017
- The Producers Sac State Department of Theatre & Dance, April 2016
- The Mystery of Edwin Drood Davis Shakespeare Festival, July 2015
- Little Shop of Horrors (sub) Woodland Opera House, April 2015
- A Christmas Carol Woodland Opera House, December 2014
- The Light in the Piazza Green Valley Theatre, August 2014
- How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying Runaway Stage Productions, September 2013
- Blood Brothers Green Valley Theatre, May 2013
- Cabaret Sac State Department of Theatre & Dance, April 2013
- Avenue Q (sub) Runaway Stage Productions, March 2013
- Aida Green Valley Theatre, February-March 2013
- Merrily We Roll Along (sub) New Helvetia Theatre, April 2012
- South Pacific Woodland Opera House, March 2012
- The Wiz Sac State Department of Theatre & Dance, April 2011
- Urinetown (sub) Runaway Stage Productions, March 2011
- Rent Runaway Stage Productions, September 2010
- The Wedding Singer Oakmont High School, May 2010
- Forever Plaid California Musical Theatre, 2009
- Little Women Runaway Stage Productions, March 2009
- The Sound of Music Runaway Stage Productions, November 2008
- Anything Goes Runaway Stage Productions, September 2008
- Thoroughly Modern Millie Runaway Stage Productions, May 2008
- Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Gondoliers" Light Opera Theatre of Sacramento, April 2008
- Jekyll & Hyde Runaway Stage Productions, November 2007
- Little Shop of Horrors Runaway Stage Productions, July 2007
- Oklahoma Runaway Stage Productions, May 2007
- Smokey Joe's Cafe Runaway Stage Productions, March 2007
- Chicago Runaway Stage Productions, January 2007
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Runaway Stage Productions, July 2006
- Guys and Dolls Runaway Stage Productions, May 2006